Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Judy's Garden Spring 2009

My garden box is in transition right now. Those are not weeds in the box (only around the box!), but are Salad Burnett that is going to seed. My garden is 5'x23' and I have gardened in it since 1986 when we moved in. Along the front are tomato plants that need to be planted, and will be soon.

I know it looks messy, but I don't use a compost pile. I sheet compost, just put the trimmings on top of the soil where it will give the worms and other beneficial soil organisms the most food. It also keeps the weeds down, which is a great benefit, and helps to keep the soil moist. The Salad Burnett is almost done and then I will take the seeds and spread them around in the back yard "flower" beds. It seeds readily (also pulls out readily!). I have decided to keep vegetables in the garden boxes (I am in the process of expanding my vegetable garden) and put the herbs in other places, even the front yard! Some herbs, like yarrow and bee balm, are beautiful flowers that you may have seen in the garden centers. Others that are strong-scented, like dill and basil, might work to confuse pests that damage flowers. Anyway, I want them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment