Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Out In The Garden

Today I was able to work in the yard for three hours, and my focus was on this section that's up against the house. I dug out 10 crape myrtle "shrubs," which were actually trees that came up from the roots when we took out a crape myrtle tree several years ago. I never tried to dig them out, I just cut them down each year. I didn't want them, so I finally dug them out. I also removed several clusters of bulbs that keep multiplying, that I didn't like. Plus, I removed 4 Lenten Roses. The sidewalk goes up to the front door of my house, and I plan to put in a small pond just past the post that can be seen on the left in the picture. The dead-looking things in the background are my ferns. They get burned by the frost each year, but come back better than ever each spring. As I was digging some of the crape myrtles that were in amongst the ferns, I found that there were lots of new little ferns starting to grow. These ferns were here when we bought this house in 1986, so you can see that they are a hardy plant. They do need to be in the shade, though, as too much summer sun will burn them. [I almost forgot to take a picture of where I was working, but remembered after I had started digging].

No comments:

Post a Comment