Friday, February 26, 2010

What's In Your Garden?

Here's what's in my garden! Late last fall I planted a six-pack of lettuce, of chives, and of chard; a few pieces of garlic; and two kinds of parsley. They are growing quite happily now!

I'm happy, too, because I get to eat them! The chard stems are so tender that they cook up quickly. I had a bit of a problem with snails, but Sluggo took care of that. There is a bit of hay growing under the chard leaves. It is from the straw that I put down over the pathway. All I have to do is pull it up and lay it on top of the straw, which creates more mulch!

I noticed today that the hardware stores and markets are selling vegetable and herb starts. They look nice and green (that's from a good dose of chemical fertilizer) and very tempting to buy. If you do buy them and plant them, make sure to cover them if frost is threatening. Uncover them the next morning, otherwise the sun could cook them.

No comments:

Post a Comment