Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My July Garden

I haven't been blogging about my garden this year because there isn't much to it. Basically, I haven't been doing any of the things I normally love to do, and I have finally figured out why--ever sense my Mother died in January, I have been somewhat depressed, but didn't realize it. I had a good day last week and thought how wonderful I felt, something I haven't felt for so long. So, I guess I am coming out of it, I certainly hope so!

This is a picture of one of my wilt-y zucchini plant (plus a small lantana plant) in a newly cleared flower bed. It is almost 100' and I was kind of wilt-y myself by the time I got back in the house! I made three different plantings of squash this summer, but the first two didn't grow. Maybe the seeds were old, or the bugs got the new sprouts. Anyway, the third time's a charm, and I have two plants started. This is located on the west side of our house, by the fireplace, so it gets extra hot there.

These are three of my four tomato plants (behind them you can see my "dwarf" almond tree, center, and citrus trees). In front of and between the tomatoes are a couple of pepper plants, and one basil plant on the far right of the picture. Behind the tomatoes (on the right) you might be able to see my dried peas, which I never harvested, or removed, this spring. I think I will collect the seed for next winter's crop! I also have a lovely crop of weeds, nice and green. Much to my patient husband's dismay, I have let the weeds have their way, front yard and back. It will be good to get them removed, after July's heat subsides a little in August.

Here you can see my two semi-dwarf apricot trees. Apricot trees are very ambitious when it comes to growing, and can get out of hand very quickly. They need to be summer pruned instead of winter pruned, to prevent Eutypa fungus and dieback, and to control height. Another thought is summer "pinching" of fruit trees, as explained by Thomas Leo Ogren. I think I will try his method next year.

So, that's the extent of my garden at this time. I am going to Idaho for a week, but after I get back I will prune my apricot trees, and plant a mess of green and dry beans, cucumbers (table and pickling), dill, basil, and whatever else I can think of! I will attack those weeds, too! I'm feeling good and ready to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment