Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Topping Semi-Dwarf Fruit Trees

These are my semi-dwarf apricot trees. I recently topped these and my pear trees. If I didn't top them and head back some of the branches, they would just keep growing until the trees were 15' tall and many feet wide. I had an semi-dwarf apricot tree years ago and I didn't realize that they would grow so large. It got away from me and grew quite tall and wide. The tree ended up with a disease a couple of years later and had to be taken out. Now I know I have to keep my trees in check! It is hard to cut happily growing branches, but it pays off in the end. I will be able to harvest my fruit while standing on the ground, instead of trying to steady myself on a ladder; my trees will not take over the neighboring fruit trees (they are planted close together); and they won't be hanging over the fence to drop fruit in my neighbor's yard. I've always thought that what hung over the fence into your yard was yours--to prune it back, to enjoy the shade, or to harvest the fruit; but, I don't want to burden my neighbor just because I didn't keep my trees in line, so I keep them pruned. I do have a semi-dwarf almond tree that I have never pruned, and it is about 20' tall, but it has been there for over 30 years, and no one has complained.

No comments:

Post a Comment