Thursday, May 5, 2011

Garden Soil

I wanted to share with you one garden product that I really like. I found it at Lowe's (load it yourself) and Orchard (they load it for you), and the price difference is just 7 or 8 cents, if I remember right. I have use it for a couple of years, and today I was especially impressed with it. This "garden soil" is more like a mulch or compost. I have an old wooden garden cart (no rubber on the wheels) that is just sitting in my back yard. I usually have one of these bags of compost sitting on the cart, with one flat side open. I use this all around the garden, especially when I am planting my veggies (great around fruit trees, too). One of these bags has been open for a couple of weeks, and the sprinklers have watered it a bit. I lifted the flap of plastic that covered the opening, and there was a mushroom! This is good stuff as it has mycorrhizae, which the mushroom indicated it does. Mycorrhizae is a fungus that promotes all plant growth. It connects plants and trees, and helps each one share what the other needs in the way of nutrition--it is a symbiotic relationship, where it mutually benefits both plants/trees.

I used up the one bag of compost and opened another. I found a nice, big earthworm! That really surprised me! This is another indication that this is some good garden soil! I don't have any ties with this company, it's just that I really like this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment