Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Frost Damage

The first picture shows how my ferns were topped by the recent frost we had. This stand of ferns is sheltered and faces southeast. It actually can be a "hotspot", where the sun warms it and is protected from the wind. We do have some lattice overhead, but it still lets in quite a bit of sun.

Here is a picture of the sad condition my peppers are in--I guess the growing season for them is over! I will start some new plants soon, for late spring planting.

My poor cannas! This happens every year, and then in the spring they come back in full force. These cannas have tiger-striped leaves that are really pretty. One time I got an interesting picture of the leaves--see below.

I love the colors and the stripes. The flowers are orange, but sort of pale in comparison to the leaves. So, they will become mulch for the garden beds, and be beautiful once again next summer.

If you have lost shrubs or trees to frost this fall, don't remove them just yet. See if there is new growth next spring, or even into summer. The plants have certain types of cells in line to make leaves or extend branches, which can be killed when frost-bit. It takes a while, during the growing season, for them to create new growth cells, so be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment