Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weeds--Annual Bluegrass

Annual bluegrass (Poa annua, a member of the grass family) starts out small, but can become quite a pest. It has more or less flattened stems that are spreading or erect. The stems are from 2" to 12" long, sometimes forming dense clumps. The leaves are bright green and thrives in lawns, gardens, cultivated crops, roadsides, and other open areas. It can be especially troublesome in lawns where it tends to grow faster than other grasses and once mature it dies, resulting in brown spots in the lawn.

Annual bluegrass is not considered an edible weed, unless you like to eat grass, I suppose! Hula hoe when it is small, dig it out when bigger, or some people would use a weed spray. If spraying, read the directions and use it carefully. It does product a lot of seeds.

2 comments:

  1. We are having these sprout up and now thanks to you I know what to do about them. I've been trying to pick them out but it is wet and cold and those things are fiercely planted and some take more strength than I have. I had forgotten all about using a hula hoe! I will seek one out tomorrow! Thanks Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hula hoe works really good when this grass is small, and gives you a good workout! If the grass is of any size, then it will need to be dug out. I have a butcher knife (I have used it for 20 years) that I use to dig out weeds.

    ReplyDelete