Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring!

Hello there--my name is Bryce, and like mom said, I'm her son. I'm the youngest of two (my older brother lives way back east) and I live in Bakersfield--so mom and I get to keep it in the valley. Bakersfield is to the south of Fresno, which means we get less rain and a bit more sun. Nonetheless, our gardening experiences are almost identical (as well as our problems, issues, joys, successes and defeats). I'm not the gardener that mom is, but I'm getting there.


I can remember when I was a kid--dad had bought a house with a couple acres in the backyard. Mom planted several fruit trees and put in several more boxes and we had a GARDEN! We were out there all the time and it was great (though I hated pulling weeds). When I was a teen, we moved into a house that had a pool, so those days of digging holes, launching model rockets, and canning our own fruit, had come to an end. I never realized that the garden bug would come back to bite me until I was newly married.


My grandfather had saved all of his old Organic Gardening magazines and passed them down to my mom--who then passed them down to me. What a treat! I would read them late into the night--devouring the information. It was then that I tried out my first garden. Since then, I've been improving each year, and mom and I share stories and seeds.


I wish I had a bigger yard (someday), but I'm excited about gardening and know quite a bit. I will share what I can and hopefully be able to answer some of your questions. This is still my mom's blog--always will be. I'm just a contribution writer. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment