Thursday, March 24, 2011

Back Again!

I am sorry that I have been away from my blog for so long. A year-ago last January my Mother died; and with that, my passion for gardening died. I guess it was part of the grieving process, and finally lifted a few weeks ago---I am back into gardening! My yard is a mess, although during a recent warm streak I was out working frantically trying to catch up. Mostly, my problem is with bermuda grass, which has gotten into most everything, except for my veggie garden. The rain has arrived, just like it does every March, but this year there is more of it. Over last weekend we received 2.75"! The first day of Spring our area broke a record for the one-day rainfall---1.47". We have had another .6" of rain, plus a big storm is predicted for next weekend. All of this rain is coming at a time when our fruit trees are blooming, so it will be an interesting harvest this year.

Last fall I planted a bunch of seeds, trying to get myself out of my gardening funk (it didn't work at the time). I put some pea netting over the garden to keep my three cats from digging my seeds up---I thought I was so clever!

A couple of days ago I went out to look at my garden box, and found my cat, Millie, laying UNDER the netting, but at least she hasn't been digging there!

I bought and planted my tomatoes the first week in March. It has been a little cool, but they seem to be doing fine. I will post some pictures of them next time---I have creative cat "fencing" around them, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment