Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Asparagus Bed

This is a picture of my asparagus bed. The bed is located on the south side of my house, and is 2' wide and 10' long. A few days ago I cleaned up my asparagus bed, put down a nice thick layer of chicken manure over the crowns, a thick layer of compost on both sides of the manure, and then new straw on the pathway. This is going to be nearly weed-free all summer! Now, I just wait until the little spears poke through and I will have some good eating! (There is a little asparagus frond at the front of my box; I think it overwintered, protected by the larger, dead fronds that I cleaned out).

2 comments:

  1. So you plant them now for the Fall? They won't come up for this spring will they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus are planted in early spring, usually in February around here. I planted this bed about 4 years ago, so it is an established bed. As the spears appear, they can be cut-off and eaten for a couple of weeks. Then, the rest of the spears need to grow so they can become fronds (leaves) and help feed the crowns (roots) for the next year.

    ReplyDelete