Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kitty Barriers

I use a variety of things to keep my cats out of my veggie gardens---usually what I have laying around. This first box has chicken wire, that is mostly flattened. I read about this in Organic Gardening Magazine probably 20 years ago, where a woman was trying to keep her neighbor's cat from digging in her flower beds. All she had to do was lay down chicken wire and put a little loose mulch over the top. It couldn't be seen, but when the cat went to dig, it decided to go elsewhere.
I also keep the plastic trays you get when you buy a flat of flowers. These trays are good for shading newly planted plants, too. I have used bamboo sticks around the tomato cage to try to discourage the cats from going inside and digging. So far it seems to be working!

What are some of the barriers you have used to keep cats and dogs out of the garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment