Saturday, April 9, 2011

Snow in Clovis?

No, spring is here! I just emptied our paper shredder in my garden box, and it looked a little bit like snow! Paper, shredded or otherwise, is considered brown matter, and is better if layered with green matter (such as freshly cut grass). When you start with bare ground, layer brown matter first. Green matter will take up nitrogen (to help break down the green matter) from the soil and deprive the plants of this much needed nutrient.

I still haven't gotten the coffee grounds, but I will soon. The coffee grounds are considered brown matter, too. It's all good, and the plants love it! The layers break down slowly and the plants are able to use the nutrients naturally. The thick mulch keeps the weeds from sprouting, so that means less work for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment