Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Tomato Flowers

If you look closely you can see some tomato flowers! They set fruit when the nighttime temperatures reach 50. This is my Sweet 100 cherry tomato, and is an indeterminate tomato, meaning that it will continue to grow all season, until a frost kills it or I pull it out. Determinate tomatoes, like my Romas, will only grow to about 3-4' high, so I have a stake that I will tie them to (when they get big enough), so they won't lay on the ground. I don't remove suckers or leaves, only tomato worms! Leaves are needed to feed the plant so that it can produce a nice, big crop. I fertilized my tomatoes about 3 weeks after I planted them, which happened to be just before our last big rain. I can't wait for the tomatoes to get ripe--I can eat a couple of pounds, or more, a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment