Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garden Chaos!

OK, I'm telling on myself today. This is a picture of my original garden, one that has been growing vegetables for the last 22 years, mostly non-stop, year-round (this was the only vegetable garden I had). It has been a good raised bed garden. This is what happens when things don't go according to plan! Last mid-spring I started planning for my new raised beds (where the lawn used to be), thinking that we would get the wood, build the boxes, and get it all installed in a week or two. Didn't happen, but in my enthusiasm I bought 18 Roma tomato plants. I figured that since they were determinant (they grow to a certain height and stop) that they wouldn't get too tall. As spring was becoming summer and the new beds were not in, I had to stick the tomato plants in the ground and they all went into this bed. I had forgotten how tall they really can get (about 3', maybe a bit more) so the tomatoes have sprawled all over, including the 1' path at the back and sides of the bed--which means I can't go there unless I walk on tomatoes! This makes harvesting more difficult. I also had trellised cucumbers and the Amish melon in there, and a squash--all of which are almost completely dead from old age, but not removed yet! ALSO, there is a row of Little Brown Cat beans (for dry beans) along the front that have grown out of the box and onto the pathway. The Painted Lady Beans are still blooming, trellised on the left-hand top of the picture, in front of 2 caged regular tomatoes and a volunteer cherry tomato. So, with no pre-planning and everything planted way too close, and tomatoes not caged, chaos ensues! This is one time that you don't do as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment