Saturday, August 15, 2009

Butterflies

Three weeks ago I saw my first Fritillary butterfly. A couple of days ago I saw that there were two Fritillary butterflies that were settling down for the night near my citrus trees. The next evening I saw that there were five! The first picture shows what they look like when they rest for the night. The second picture shows one limbering up as the sun is warming the morning. I don't know if they are emerging butterflies or if they are there to mate. I had planned to rip out the aggressive flowers that are under my trees, where the butterflies have been staying at night, but now I may leave them for the butterfly habitat. Otherwise, next spring I will plant some passionfruit vines, which is something that they also like; and then I can remove the aggressive flowers.

2 comments: