Friday, August 28, 2009

Tea Leaves vs. Maggots

I thought this garden tip was a good one, and we can use it now in the valley as we plant radishes and turnips. I suppose it would work on carrots, too!

"I've been using this simple remedy for a long time, and it seems to rid my radishes and turnips of maggots.

I rip open used tea bags and place the spent leaves in a shallow container until they're dry. (I've found placing the container on the top of the refrigerator dries out the leaves quickly.) I store the leaves in a sealed container until ready to use.

In the spring, I sprinkle a layer of dried leaves in the turnip and radish rows after planting seeds. I've had 95% success with this method."--Clair Reffner

[From: National Gardening Magazine, June 1990, pg. 52]

No comments:

Post a Comment