Friday, August 7, 2009

Mulching The Veggies

Now that I have made sure that the weed seeds have sprouted and been pulled, I am starting to build the soil in my new raised garden boxes. In one of my beds I am layering lawn clippings. I have done this with my original garden for years, even using clippings from bermuda grass (which never sprouted in my garden), and it helps to feed the little critters that help balance my eco-system.

In another bed, I have started layering leaf cuttings, making a crude mulch. I have done this in my original bed, too, for the last few years, and found the soil come alive with earthworm activity! I have had earthworms before, but not like there is now. So, what works for me in one bed should work in my other beds! This method is not for everyone (it drives my husband nuts!), as it is really messy looking. And, if you don't get the weeds first, it's harder to get them pulled, although with a mulch layer the annual weeds have less chance to sprout and grow.

These types of "mulch" will break down slowly, creating an ideal soil. I do not dig in these gardens, I let the earthworms do that for me! When I remove vegetable plants that are finished, I don't pull them out, I cut them off just below ground level. The roots are left to decompose in the ground, and this helps to aerate the soil, too. When I fertilize my vegetables (if I get around to it!), I put a little organic fertilizer around the base of each plant, gently rough the soil, and then water well.

No comments:

Post a Comment