Friday, June 19, 2009

My New Garden

This is how it all began! One month ago my husband, Dave, and I placed the boxes. They are lined up together, although not exactly east and west (they fit the space better this way).

I thought I would start with the smallest box first, because I really wasn't sure what I was going to do. I dug out a bit under the wood, wet the soil, and placed soaked cardboard under the frame. This is to discourage the bermuda and nutsedge, which can be pretty persistent, especially along the edges.

I overlapped the cardboard to make sure there were no spaces where the weeds could get through, and I wet the cardboard, again. I added some organic compost, mixed it a little with the soil underneath and watered it.


Next, I put down large "flakes" of straw to cover the cardboard. Straw naturally flakes off of the bale. The thick layers are pretty compact. I watered the straw well to help start the decomposition, which will make it even harder for the weeds to see daylight = no food for the roots = death to the weeds!

This is the first box, the small one, all finished and planted. I did this one Tuesday evening and it took about 2 hours.

Last night I installed the second box, and it also took 2 hours. This box is 4' x8'. The black trays are to discourage kitties from using my "box" for their own purposes! Once it is planted, they tend to stay away (I have 3 cats, plus one that thinks this is a great place to live).

2 comments:

  1. Judy,

    That's a fine looking bunch of raised beds, should grow a truck load or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I'm hoping for! I plan to can a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete