Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Painted Lady Pole Beans

These are pictures of my Painted Lady Pole Beans. I am growing them out to increase the number of seeds for future plantings. The flower stems are getting longer and the earlier blossoms are dropping off. I wondered why they weren't being pollinated, so I took a closer look. I saw that bees were going for the nectar at the base of the flower (the pink part), on the outside. They get the nectar, but don't touch the pollen. I will try pollinating them with a small paint brush and see what happens.
The Painted Lady bean is 12" long and is very flavorful. It is excellent for canning and freezing. It is an heirloom bean, and grows 10' tall (I didn't know that when I planted it! I read that it got to 6"!). It is said to attract hummingbirds, and I suppose, that is who would be the pollinator. My hummingbird feeder developed a hole and kept draining a couple of weeks ago--I just bought another feeder yesterday. I'd better get that new feeder up so the hummers will hang around!

[update: The hummingbird feeder is up and the hummers are enjoying it. I took apart one of the Painted Lady bean flowers and could not see any pollen. Hopefully, the hummers will be able to help].

4 comments:

  1. You really are a master gardener! So many cool things you are doing & able to the bee's job too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to do the pollinating---I couldn't find the pollen! I will let the hummingbirds do their work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been searching for these bean blooms for quite awhile. My husband had received 4 bean seeds from his 97 yr. old aunt and she couldn't remember what kind they were. He planted those seeds last year and has now replanted this year. We will keep replanting till their is enoughto try them. I'm curious to know the flavor and if they are cooked or processed the same as other beans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment. These beans are used like any other dried bean as far as I understand. I didn't get enough beans to sample!

    ReplyDelete