Saturday, July 25, 2009

Leaf-Cutter Bees and Butterflies

I was deadheading my neighbor's roses and came to this flower. It looks really lacy--it was chosen by a leaf-cutter bee to line her nest! I had never seen the flower itself cut, only the leaves. I found it interesting!

Usually, in my yard the only butterflies I see are the Red Admirals, Cabbage Butterflies, the little butterscotch butterflies (that's what I call them, I haven't identified them yet), and usually, once a year I will see a monarch butterfly and a swallowtail butterfly. So this morning when I went to water my garden I was surprised to see this Gulf Fritillary butterfly sunning itself under my almond tree! It's markings were really beautiful. It is amazing what you find in the garden when you take time to just look around.

No comments:

Post a Comment