Friday, July 31, 2009

Squash Plants

Bush squash does tend to lay down and grow in the direction of the sun, whether it is over other vegetables or onto the garden pathway. One way to stop it in its tracks is to tie it to a stake. This is a picture of my very vigorous yellow straight-neck squash. I drove a stake down into the soil fairly deep (at least a foot) because the squash will be tied to it and will become somewhat heavy. If we get a wind, it would catch the large leaves and knock the whole thing over if the stake wasn't sunk a bit.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see some posts about all the canning that you do - your garden is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I have been posting about my canning on another blog that I write, one of being prepared for emergencies and food storage (http://www.fresnoeaststakeemergencypreparedness1.blogspot.com).
    There are others there that also have been canning, as that was the focus for the last 6 weeks. It has been quite an adventure and a lot of fun! Some of my canning recipes came from Creative Canning, which I have a link to on the side-bar. Her food is really good.

    ReplyDelete