Sunday, July 26, 2009

Painted Lady Pole Beans

I harvested my Painted Lady Beans, all 5 pods! I planted 5 seeds, two came up, and I harvested these 11 beauties. Next year I will have a 10' trellis for them to climb on, and will have to harvest the beans while on a ladder! I think that they need humming birds to pollinate the flowers, and my hummer feeder broke before the bean flowers appeared. The only time I saw the seed pods was right after I put up my new feeder; but with the heat, it empties out within hours, so I just gave up for now. I will start setting out the new feeder again once the temperatures stay below 100' consistently, and by then the hummers will probably need the food more (as summer wanes, so does the hummer food supply). Always make notes as to what you will do differently in the garden next year, because looking back and asking yourself what it was that you wanted to try/change/do likely won't help much!

No comments:

Post a Comment