Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Eggplant

I am amazed at how productive my Little Spook Eggplant has been! It has spread out because the fruits are weighing the branches down. I have harvested 4 of them, and there are 25 more that I am leaving to mature so I can harvest the seeds. I have never grown an eggplant before and have found it to be nearly care-free. Now that the nights are cooling off and the daytime temperatures are up and down, the plant is becoming stressed. The ants are farming the aphids on this plant, but there are also beneficials taking care of things. At first I was spraying the back sides of the leaves with water, where the aphids were, but then I saw the lady bugs and other good bugs increase in numbers to offset the aphids. This picture shows 10 eggplant fruits! The leaves are really more green than it shows in this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Eggplants are really good when you cook 'em right. That is a beautiful lush plant you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lisa! I kept an open mind, tried it, but still didn't care for it! So, I'm keeping the rest for the seeds for my son.

    ReplyDelete