Friday, October 16, 2009

Black Widow Spiders

We have been invaded by big black widow spiders the last week or so. There were three in our bedroom (one each of three consecutive days), and four in our living room. So far no one has been bitten, but the spiders in the bedroom have been very close to where I sleep! Today I came home from the market and found this one on the inside of our screen door. She is the largest one that I have ever seen. Normally, we use a plastic cup and a large index card to take the spiders outside and then step on them, but this one was too big--it gave me the willies, which is unusual. I got the vacuum out and sucked her up, did a little more vacuuming, and then took the vacuum bag and put it in a plastic bag. I closed the bag with a twist tie and threw the whole thing in the trash bin outside. We have always had a few these spiders around, but generally they stay outside and are a lot smaller. They tend to hide in places that are not disturbed, so it has been strange that they have been in plain sight inside the house. We have found them on the middle of walls and on the room-side of drapes. Maybe a bad winter is around the corner and they are coming in to keep warm. Whatever it is, I don't like it at all!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of black widows coming in the house like that, and being in plain sight. I have never had pest control come inside our home, but if I ever saw even one black widow inside I would be calling them. Ants I can handle, ear wigs, most other spiders, but not black widows. Sounds like you must have a nest somewhere in your house. Please keep us updated on these.

    ReplyDelete