Sunday, October 18, 2009

Re: Comment on Black Widows

Jill posted a comment about the black widow spiders I wrote about and I'm answering it here.

Jill: I've never heard of black widows coming in the house like that, and being in plain sight. I have never had pest control come inside our home, but if I ever saw even one black widow inside I would be calling them. Ants I can handle, ear wigs, most other spiders, but not black widows. Sounds like you must have a nest somewhere in your house. Please keep us updated on these.

Gard'n Judy: It is kind of creepy. I think I have solved the problem, though. Both rooms have sliding glass doors. At the top of both stationary doors, there are 3/4" openings. Both doors are next to the patio cover which is an extension of the roof. The extension has a lot of gaps and we have a wasp's nest in there, so I know there is enough room for the spiders. Over the years, during warm weather we have had the occasional wasp in the house, mostly in the bedroom. We must have had a good year for black widows, and with winter coming, they are looking for a better place to live. I stuffed the openings on both stationary glass doors with cotton balls and haven't seen a spider since! I didn't realize there were openings where these critters were getting in until I was desperate and finally located the holes.

2 comments:

  1. I live in Ventura, and this was indeed a good year for black widows. I saw three of the biggest I'd ever seen this summer. I mean they were fat giants. They haven't made it inside, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had any more black widows show up inside, so I must have closed the right holes! Thanks for your comment, now I don't feel like I'm the only one that has these spiders!

    ReplyDelete