Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bad Bugs

This is a picture of a sowbug, also known as a pill bug, or roly poly bug. They are a common garden bug that may eat your plants. Children love to play with them as they don't bite and will roll into a little ball when picked up. They are of the order of isopoda (which means "balanced foot"), and the family of Oniscida (I just knew you'd want to know that!). Over the years I have cut garden articles and hints out of newspapers and magazines, keeping them in a file (OK, several files!) and I go through them every so often. I came across a garden hint about getting rid of sowbugs and decided I will try it this week, and let you know if it works in my garden. It is simple and organic, and supposedly get rid of ants, too. The magic potion is to sprinkle the plants and soil with bonemeal. That's it! Bonemeal also slowly releases nutrients into the soil, which benefits the plants. If you try this, please let me know how it works for you.

3 comments:

  1. I never knew until now that these are not good bugs! Do you know if they are bad for flower gardens too, or just veg gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pill bugs like to eat green, growing things and I don't think they are too particular with what types of plants they eat. I have always had pill bugs in my garden, but there was only one time that I saw damage---when I planted bean seeds too early (the soil was too cold). When the beans sprouted they were under stress, and the pill bugs chewed on the stems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad because they are really cute.

    ReplyDelete