Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bad Bugs . . .

Back in my April 30th post, I mentioned the Hoplia Beetle attacking light-colored flowers, especially roses. I thought I would show you what they look like (see below). According to UC Davis, the hoplia beetles particularly like "white, yellow, apricot, and pink roses. Early buds and flowers of roses may be destroyed by chewing. The beetles do not feed on leaves. Hoplia beetles also feed on the flowers of calla, citrus, irises, lilies, magnolia, olive, peonies, poppies, and strawberries, and on the young leaves and fruit of grapes, peaches, and almonds. . . They develop slowly, remaining in the larval or pupal stage throughout the winter. In early spring they complete development and adult beetles emerge from the soil." Hand-picking (or knocking them off of the flowers into a container of soapy water) will reduce their numbers.


Another bug that I am trying to eradicate from my garden is the Harlequin Bug (see picture below). They were all over my Brussels sprouts. They are a sucking bug and damage mature plants, but may kill new or small plants by sucking them to death. The young bugs are more black and orange, and as they molt (five or six times during their lives), the orange color turns more red.
They lay their egg cases on the leaves, which I have found on both the tops and undersides of leaves. I couldn't find a picture of the type of egg cases I have found and I have destroyed all that I have found in my garden, so no pictures there. The egg cases I have found are laid in a bundle of long, thin tubes that are placed on top of each other like cord-wood. They have been white, and a few were yellow. Depending on the weather, they can hatch anywhere from four to twenty-nine days, and can mature and mate from four to nine weeks. They can also live year-round in our gardens because of our mild weather. "Plants commonly attacked by the harlequin bug include such crucifers as horseradish, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, mustard, Brussels sprouts, turnip, kohlrabi and radish. In the absence of these favorite hosts, tomato, potato, eggplant, okra, bean, asparagus, beet, weeds, fruit trees and field crops may be eaten" (from the University of Florida). They like a lot of different vegetables, so it is imperative to control them when you see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment