Wednesday, May 6, 2009

For the Bees

These pretty yellow flowers are really the blooms of Baby Bok Choi that is going to seed. I'm not saving this seed because I purchased it at the store and I don't remember if it is hybrid or not. I do let some vegetables and herbs go to seed just for the bees. The bees are having a rough time contending with two types of mites, which have cut their numbers down. Therefore, I try to help the bees all I can by providing flowers for them.

This year I experimented with planting in bags of garden soil. This bok choi has been growing in one of these bags. I found that I have to water them every day, and in the heat of summer they might need watering twice a day. It was fun to try and it has worked well. So, if you don't have your garden ready and are anxious to plant something to eat, try growing it in a bag of top soil. (See http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2008-06-01/No-Dig-Garden-Beds.aspx ).

No comments:

Post a Comment