Saturday, May 30, 2009

Try Something New!

Every year try something new in your garden! Grow something you have never grown before and you might discover a vegetable that you really like. This year I am growing eggplant, something that I really don't like to eat, but I am growing it to increase my son, Bryce's, quantity of seed. New plants (to me) that I am also growing, that I will eat:
---Cosmic Purple Carrots
---Black Hungarian Peppers
---Saffola
---Fennel
---Kudzu (maybe I won't eat this, but it's really good used as a mulch)
---Painted Lady Pole Beans

For Mother's Day, I received several different kinds of grains to grow---and that will be very new for me! Besides harvesting the grain, the roots of the plants help improve the soil they are growing in. Some grains add nutrients, and some grains grow deep to break up heavy soils.

What's new in your garden this year? Let me know what it is!

2 comments:

  1. If I grow anything-it will be new! : )

    The japanese eggplant tastes so much better than those big oval shaped ones. You might try the smaller J ones & be surprised to find you like 'em. I don't like the big ones at all.

    Good idea to grow new things. I want to grow that short grassy stuff you can put in your sandwiches and herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I will try the Japanese eggplant. I never really "tasted" the oval eggplant---I was required to take a bite when I was a teenager. I put it in my mouth and gagged---and that was the end of that! Maybe you could give me a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete